Thursday, March 13, 2014

Talia's Birth Story

Caleb's and Brynn's birth stories were essentially the same: 12 hours from the first little contraction until birth. When I got to the hospital with them I got an epidural, they broke my water, I would progress to 10cm pretty quickly, push for 15 minutes and they were out. More than one doctor told me my body was made for having babies. That's why when I didn't get what was expected I felt emotional and shocked and scared but it all turned out fine.

Everything started just as it always did. Little contractions around 11:30pm, go to hospital around 4am. Get an epidural around 5am. Baby's heart rate is a little low with contractions but it never got below 60 beats per minute (BPM) so they monitor that but nothing to worry about. I stop progressing with dilation around 5cm so they break my water. All is as usual. Because the heart rate keeps getting almost to 60 BPM they put a monitor inside me that gently pricks the baby's head and they can measure with perfect accuracy the heart rate. They rotate my position and give me oxygen then baby's heart rate gets better. I keep getting reassured that they are doing all they can to take care of baby. Things are fine. I dilate to 6cm and contractions get harder. With a really hard contraction the BPM goes to 50. All of a sudden the doctor and 4 nurses come in and are all doing things frantically as the doctor says calmly, "We need to get this baby out now. You are only dilated to a 6 so that means C-section." A nurse puts a form in front of me to sign, which I do, and I am quickly being rushed to the OR (operating room, for you slower folk).
At this point it was so surreal. I was just talking to Derrick about how fun it would be to see our baby get cleaned off in the baby station. How nice it will be to see her and hold her and bam! I'm being rushed off for a C Section, which all I know about those is that you get cut open and recovery is really hard. Tears start rolling down my cheeks. I get into the OR and everyone is working really fast. Derrick isn't there yet because he's getting suited up. I feel alone. I feel scared for the baby and the rush into things. I start getting totally numb, even my arms are tingly. I really start crying. Derrick shows up and sits next to me holding my hand. I feel a little better but everyone is so serious and fast paced that I have no idea what to expect.
They ask me if I feel any pain in my abdomen. I say no. A minute later they say I will feel a lot of pressure like someone is sitting on my stomach. Yep, that's what it felt like. I was squeezing Derrick's hand so hard, crying but trying to stay calm.
I missed this part (and I'm glad I did) but Derrick said at that point, when we knew the baby had just come out, all the nurses were making worried remarks like, "Oh my gosh." Derrick said he was really scared then.
A minute later we hear little cries. I feel better to hear that but I'm still in distress mode. I still can't believe what's happening. I still am scared for the baby. After another minute they tell Derrick he can go over and take pictures. I told him it was ok. He left and came back to show me pictures of a perfect little girl. It took a long time to stitch me up. Which I guess makes sense but I never thought about that before. Derrick was allowed to bring her over to me and I got to see her beautiful face. Then they took her down to the nursery.
After stitching is done I go back to the delivery room and a nurse sits down to tell me what happened. Here it is: When they pulled her out of me she was as white as a ghost with the cord wrapped tightly around her neck. After they broke my water the buoyancy that was sustaining her was gone. She was in distress mode. It was like gasping for air. Not only that but the cord around her neck was being stretched out. The cord is supposed to be twisted but it was as flat as if a truck ran over it. That means she was getting no fluid. Her whiteness was from no fluid. As soon as she came out they stuck an IV in her and pumped her with fluid and she was better. If I would have tried to push her out she would have choked for sure and who knows what would have happened.
The whole time the nurse was explaining I was balling. I felt so sorry for Talia. I felt I still wasn't sure Talia was ok. I asked if I didn't come in that day if something terrible could have happened and the nurse's response was amazing, "Yes it could have BUT it didn't. Heavenly Father meant for this little girl to come to your family and she's here and she's perfect and that is all that matters." What a testimony that was to me. I knew it was true but in the stress of it all I needed to hear it. I really believe I delivered at the right hospital with an amazingly supportive, happy and trusting doctor and kind, knowledgeable nurses who know how to communicate.
That same nurse said the rule on the floor is that once baby goes down to nursery to get cleaned up they don't bring her back up but she was getting that baby to me as soon as she could because she said that I needed to hold her. Sure enough they brought Talia up to me and I got to hold the little miracle for the first time. She really was perfect and peaceful and there in my arms. We were only in the delivery for a few more minutes before being taken down to our room. Everything since then has been great. I love this little girl so much and am so happy she is perfect. I prayed for her health and wellness everyday I was pregnant and now I know my prayers were answered.
Getting weighed in at 6 lbs 13 oz:

First bath:

Me (after no sleep for 36 hours, labor, C-section and over an hour of crying--don't look too closely) with Talia

Derrick, Caleb and Talia. Caleb was so proud!

1 comment:

The Purple Lady said...

I'm so glad that everything turned out well. Thank you for sharing your experience. It reaffirms how much Heavenly Father is watching over us and knows what each person needs—even the tiny ones.